Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Had to Photogragh This

Let me start by saying that on Saturday, September 11, the History Channel ran, all day, specials about 9/11.  If was as if I didn't want to relive that day, but couldn't help but watch.  Then it made me think that we should ALWAYS remember what happened on that day 9 years ago, and not just on the anniversaries.

So, on Sunday I went to my in-laws to help set up for the big garage sale.  Now, none of you know, but their garage is almost like a museum of sorts.  It's quite large (they ran a news agency out of it for many years).  My father-in-law, has the "Original" man cave; cable, fridge, recliner and LOTS of interesting things hanging on it's walls, i.e, signs (beer, street, etc.), things his grandfather made, etc.

But what caught my attention that day was his fire helmet haning on the wall.  I guess I always knew it was there but being 9/12 and everything, firemen were fresh in my mind.  He was a volunteer fireman in his town as they did not a fire department till maybe the 80's.  This helmet, I KNOW, saw MANY fires and it certainly shows.  He told me that someone offered him $200 for it and said he would NEVER sell.  He is obviously very proud of it.  So me, being me, I photographed it and here it is:

I think I am going to get him a case to protect it

SFD = Stickney Fire Department



Just a SMALL part of his collection haning on the walls

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers